Have you been looking for the perfect massage experience? If you’ve Googled “massage near me,” there’s a pretty good chance you’ve turned up numerous search hits, and most likely they will include a variety of massage services.
So, how can you find the best massage service and therapist near you? Here are a few things to think about before, during, and after an appointment to help you find the right massage therapist, possibly one you’ll want to see on an ongoing basis.
Tip 1: Know What You’re Looking For
Here’s the first thing to think about, before you go online and search for “massage near me”: what kind of massage are you looking for?
We’ve covered different types of massage service before, but here’s a quick refresher.
- Swedish massage: this is the default type of massage service, characterized by long, sweeping strokes coupled with kneading of the muscles. Swedish massage is wonderfully versatile, and a great general-purpose option.
- Deep tissue massage: if you’re having trouble with chronic aches and pains, a deep tissue massage may be the right massage service for you. Your massage therapist will warm up your muscles with lighter pressure, and then use more intensive massage techniques to reach deep into the muscle.
- Trigger point therapy: if you have one particularly painful spot, maybe in your back or neck, consider trigger point therapy.
- Ashiatsu massage: this is a Japanese barefoot massage treatment, in which your massage therapist will use overhanging bars mounted on the ceiling to carefully apply barefoot pressure to your muscles. Many people who try different types of massage find that Ashiatsu produces a lot of relief in a short amount of time.
- Neuromuscular therapy: if lower back pain or other muscle spasms are your issue, look into neuromuscular therapy when you search for “massage near me.” Your massage therapist can use concentrated pressure to relieve pain by restoring blood flow to your muscles.
- Sports massage: this is a type of massage service that focuses on one area of the body, typically a part of the body having a strong association with one sport or another. You don’t have to be an athlete to enjoy this particular massage service, though!
- Pregnancy massage: if you’re a mom-to-be, a pregnancy massage or prenatal massage can help you to relax, and has benefits for relieving anxiety, depression, and aches and pains. The relaxation you’ll feel will also be good for your baby!
Tip 2: Know What to Expect
Many people have questions about what to expect during a massage, and there are also a lot of popular misconceptions. We have addressed many of these questions before, but let’s briefly look at a few here:
- Do I Have to Get Undressed? This is fundamentally up to you: while many people do choose to get undressed, you should feel free to undress, or not, to whatever level you are comfortable. A key thing to remember is that you need to be comfortable to get the most out of your session.
- What About Covering With a Sheet? Draping with a sheet is standard practice during a massage, in order to protect your privacy and help you to relax. Your therapist will only uncover the parts of your body you want them to work on, with your permission of course.
- How Long Will it Take? Plan on about an hour for a full-body massage treatment, or 60 to 90 minutes if you want to ensure you relax as much as possible.
- How Often Should I Go? This is fundamentally up to you! Some people want to try a massage as a one-off to see if they like it; others get one every 3-6 weeks. If you have a specific condition you need addressed, going more often may be best, at least at first.
- Can/Should I Talk? You should absolutely feel free to talk to your therapist during your session if you want. If you don’t want to, that’s fine too. Here at About Touch, we’ve found that a lot of people start out talking, and then fall silent as the treatment progresses.
- Am I Healthy Enough for a Massage? For the vast majority of people, the only reason to avoid getting a massage is a contagious disease—in which case, simply wait until you’re better. Other than that, you should ask your doctor if you have a special condition, such as cancer, some heart conditions, and pregnancy, to make sure you’re good to go.
We’re Rated #1 in Eugene
About Touch is rated #1 in the Reader’s Choice Awards seven years running. Let us help you relax, recover, and rejuvenate with massage, acupuncture, and ashiatsu therapy.
Tip 3: Look at Reviews
If you’re doing an online search for “massage near me,” you can benefit from the feedback of people who have been there before. Online reviews are often a great source of information from people who have gone to a specific massage service, and may include all manner of feedback.
The two key types of reviews to look at are social media reviews, which are given on specific social media sites—usually on pages associated with the particular massage service—and internet search online reviews, notably Google reviews.
The great thing about online reviews is that they are likely to capture a spectrum of customer feedback and opinion, including favorable and unfavorable opinions.
Tip 4: Speak With Your Massage Therapist
Before your session, talk to your massage therapist. The key thing to understand is that the perfect massage for you is unique and customizable: you aren’t buying a one-size-fits-all “standard” service, you’re looking for a unique experience which will meet your needs.
For example, you may have a particular area of your body which is giving you grief—perhaps a knot in your shoulder or a pain in your lower back. Feel free to tell your therapist this and ask for a bit of extra time and attention on that one area.
Or perhaps you have a question or concern about the experience before you start. In that case, certainly say something up front! Your perfect massage should help you to feel comfortable.
Tip 5: Give Feedback During Your Session
During your massage, you should feel free to provide feedback. If the pressure is too intense, or not deep enough, say something! Your massage therapist wants you to have the perfect massage experience from beginning to end.
Here at About Touch, we want you to have the perfect massage experience, the one that will be the best possible fit for your needs. If you’ve searched for “massage near me” and you’d like to learn more about our services and maybe book an appointment, we’d be delighted to hear from you.